WhatsApp Vs Telegram: The Battle Between The Two Giants
Instant messaging apps WhatsApp and Telegram, which are considered to be arch rivals, are constantly working on updates to enhance user experience. However, when it comes to security and privacy Telegram seems to be ahead of the Facebook-owned app. But WhatsApp is far ahead of Telegram in terms of the numbers of users. Both are trying hard constantly to reach and to satisfy the public demand.
For years, WhatsApp was the first-ever free and easy instant messaging service app. There have been many attempts- successful ones- at replicating instant messaging with various features and services. The closest one has ever got is Telegram. But to the question, "Which one is better?" According to data reports, WhatsApp ranked 44rth while Telegram ranks 4rth. Why? Here are the reasons:
WhatsApp was formed into legal operation in 2009 by former employees of Yahoo, Brian Acton, and Jan Koum! After they left Yahoo! in September 2007, and traveled to South America as a break from work.
They were looking at ways to send notifications to their friends which soon evolved into an instant messaging app that ran entirely over the internet instead of using service providers.
The Telegram was launched in 2013 by Russian brothers, Nikolai and Pavel Durov. At a glance, the resemblance between Telegram and WhatsApp is quite striking but Telegram is consuming the market by providing more features that are becoming more relevant as the days pass. Moreover, Telegram's business model is much different from WhatsApp's in terms of the revenue-making aspect.
WHATSAPP VS TELEGRAM, WHY TELEGRAM IS BETTER:-
- Unlimited Cloud Storage: Telegram provides unlimited storage. User's all text messages, images, media files, and documents will be saved on their cloud. One can log out and log in any number of times from any number of devices simultaneously without losing any data, without worrying about backup and restore. Another point is, if you share one file (upload one file) to someone, you don't have to spend data again to upload that file while sharing with someone else.
Secret Chat: Secret chat is a kind of end to end encrypted chat in which one can set a self-destruct timer. The messages will be automatically deleted when the timer hits. Messages can not be forwarded from a conversation that takes place in this mode. It also includes the feature that if any of the participants in a secret chat takes a screenshot of the chat window, both parties will be notified.
- Backup: Telegram stores it on its own encrypted cloud while WhatsApp takes back up on iCloud or Google Drive which is not encrypted
- Multi-Platform Support: Telegram is available for Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows PC, Mac OS, Linux os and even through any browser while WhatsApp is available for Android, iOS, Web, Mac, Windows, Windows Phone.
- Username Feature: You can communicate with anyone on Telegram even if you don't have the contact numbers of others, ensuring the privacy of the user while on WhatsApp, one needs to have a contact number.
- Group Member Capacity: A normal group capacity in Telegram is 200. But when this is reached, the group transforms to a Super Group with a capacity of 30,000 having more features than a normal group while WhatsApp can accommodate only 256 people in a group.
- Media Compression: Users can compress or uncompress images and videos to be sent on Telegram whereas WhatsApp does not provide that facility.
- File Size: Telegram allows to share files up to 1.5gb while the size on WhatsApp is only up to 100mb.
- Multiple Sessions: Telegram uses can log in on multiple devices at the same time and able to receive messages on all devices. They can remember their sessions even on browsers too. WhatsApp provides no such feature.
- Language Support: Telegram supports 48 languages while WhatsApp supports 33 languages.
There are many other points, maybe minor but they collectively help Telegram to gain more popularity over WhatsApp, even though WhatsApp has more than 1.3 billion users worldwide, while on 24th April 2020, Telegram announced, it had reached 400 million active users. Both are diligently working on multiple beneficial features to be offered- after all, these are tools to enhance easy and simple connectivity and workflow.